King of the Hammers Race: Friday, February 08, 2013 7am

CV4W
January 8th 2013
Return to Events and Treks Discussion
  • January 8th 2013
  • CV4W
This is the official starter topic for the King of the Hammers Race event.

Click here for Event Details.

This event was last updated on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:57pm.

KOH Radio Frequencies

The race frequencies are not very publicized because they do not want unwanted traffic on the channels.  If you do tune into any race channels, it is extremely important you DO NOT key in except for emergency situations needing immediate help.  KOH does not want spectators to chat, give updates, or ask for updates on any of the channels.  Every year, someone has a stuck mic and it takes about an hour to figure out who it is.  Radios are 1 way communication so if someone is sitting on their mic, no one can tell them over the radio.

With all that said, I found the publicized frequencies from a couple years ago.  This has the main channels such as Weatherman (rescue) and relays (racers out of contact from their pits).  There are more but usually I sit on weatherman or relay 1 and listen to the whole race.  Big name teams already have their channels but likely will not publicize them.  Smaller teams area assigned channels at the race.  Generally frequencies are in the 15X.XXX range.  If your ham can pick up these frequencies then encourage you to browse the channels once you are out there.  If you're lucky which sometimes I am, you'll hear a team name on the radio and then know who's channel that is.  As I find out more, I'll add channels to this.

Nice! I can't make it make it but if someone who is going wants to borrow my mobile ham unit let me know!
Return to Events and Treks Discussion