Amateur Radio License Exam Session (HAM Test): Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:30pm

CV4W
August 8th 2012
Return to Events and Treks Discussion
  • August 8th 2012
  • CV4W
This is the official starter topic for the Amateur Radio License Exam Session (HAM Test) event.

Click here for Event Details.
  • August 20th 2012
  • OK

Good luck on the HAM test tomorrow

I won't be able to make the SOARA meeting tomorrow but let me know how you do on the HAM test.

Thanks Olaf.  Went great.  I think it took longer to fill out the paperwork in triplicate than to take the 35 question test.

Nice group, and everyone, including myself, passed no problem.  Should have my callsign in a few days.

Somehow I dont think the handheld radio is going to last me very long, I'll probably start looking to a build-in for the jeep soon.

• August 21st 2012
  • OK

Congratulations!  Yeah, the handheld only go so far and it's nice to have a mobile unit.

When you get your mobile radio, obviously you'll get one that's 2m (VHF).  Yaesu makes some heavy duty models, one that even puts out 75 watts (the FT-2900R).  Most mobile radios only have 50 watts.  However, I suggest you consider buying a 2m/70cm (144/440) model.  You might want the UHF capabilities later.  Radios last a long time, so you might want to spare the extra expense of a second mobile later on and spend a little more now.  I originally bought a 2m mobile, but a few years later had to buy a second mobile so I could have 440 capability.  If I were buying a dual bander today, I'd get the Yaesu FT-7900R.

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Jay (AD6AT)

• August 29th 2012
  • OK

There are many choices for dual mobiles.  I have the Yaesu FT8800.  The only thing I dont like is that the buttons aren't visible in the dark.  Yaesu makes an FT350 which is very nice but more expensive.

Return to Events and Treks Discussion