Lower Coyote Canyon: Saturday, April 2, 2022 9am

CV4W
September 19th 2021
Return to Events and Treks Discussion
  • September 19th 2021
  • CV4W
This is the official starter topic for the Lower Coyote Canyon event.

Click here for Event Details.

This event was last updated on Monday, March 28, 2022 2:08pm.
  • September 19th 2021
  • CV4W

This event has been updated

This event has been updated!

• October 1st 2021
  • CV4W

• October 1st 2021
  • CV4W

• January 18th 2022
  • CV4W

Miller Jeep Trail Closed

I think it was Roberto who pointed it out to me, but most of the area arond the Mt Pinos ranger district is closed for the winter. I Just talked to the ranger, and his best guess is that the gates will open late April or early May. Some people are hoping for May 1. So, it looks like this trip needs to be rescheduled. May already has Turkey Track and a possible Calico day run on May 7th and 8th, and the 2nd Death Valley trip on May 20th. Perhaps the 1st or 2nd weekend in June?

I hate to change dates when we already have a good group siged up. I see two options.

- Move this trip to later in the year, making room for someone to schedule another trip that weekend.

- Change this trip to another location, and add a new Miller Jeep Trail run for later.

I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Greg

My two cents...Pick a different trail for the same day since you already have a group who wants to go somewhere that day.

Options for April 2 switch

As mentioned, MJT will not be opened yet. I will change this trip to a new location, and put MJT on as a new trip later.

I'm leaning toward

- Lower Coyote Canyon. Did Dan run that as part of Anza Borrego trip? Looks like a similar challenge to Miler.

-Berdoo Canyon. Might be slightly easier?

comments?

Both Lower Coyote Canyon and berdoo are very easy and any 4x4 can make it.

Lower Coyote Canyon is a day trip to Anza Borego.  A Lunch stop is usually made at the North end of the canyon.

Berdoo is best run South to North.  It's a sandy up gradient wash.  The concrete foundations of the DWP construction camp are there.   It ends in Joshua Tree N.P. at the graded dirt road geology loop.  After that it's pavement around the park.  This would be a longer day rip than Coyote Canyon.

• March 20th 2022
  • CV4W

• March 21st 2022
  • CV4W

• March 28th 2022
  • CV4W

• March 28th 2022
  • CV4W

• March 28th 2022
  • CV4W

Even more fun

I was concerned that this trip might be a little on the short and/or easy side, so I have been looking at the maps for additional fun rides.

The next canyon to the east is Rockhouse Canyon, via Butler Canyon. I'm going to call that the extra credit run. This could be an additional 3 1/2 to 4 hours. If enough people want to give it a try, then we'll spend less time milling about in lower coyote, and try to get them both done. If people would rather have a leasurely day, then we'll take coyote canyon slow. If anyone knows anything about Rockhouse canyon, please share.

FYI, I'm picking up my daughter and her boyfriend in Temecula, and will have them do a bit of driving. I may pick someone else to lead the pack, and we can bring up the rear.

No matter what, I'm looking forward to Saturday.

Greg

Return to Events and Treks Discussion